We continue to add reading strategies to our CAFÉ menu. This month we are focusing on recognizing literacy elements, using main idea and supporting details to determine importance. This strategy should help us identify these features in our own narratives.
In Mathematics this month, we will continue to work on addition and subtraction but within the context of money. Solving problems within meaningful contexts will be our primary focus. We will also revisit measurement – learning to measure area, mass, capacity, and volume.
As part of our recognition of Earth Day this month, I am encouraging the children to try and bring snacks with less packaging and to make healthy choices. A reusable drink container for juice or water is preferable to all the juice boxes that are usually half full, even after our second nutrition break. We will continue to reuse and recycle as much as we can from our lunches.
Our Latest Addition
Has your child told you about our new iPad? We now have an iPad in our classroom that we are currently using during Literacy Work Stations.
We have been using it for some Word Work activities and for video taping our partners reading poems from our classroom anthology. We are working on developing FLUENCY and using expression when reading aloud.
Dates to Remember
- April 5 – ME to WE movie day (periods 2 and 3)
- April 6 –Good Friday (no school)
- April 9 – Easter Monday (no school)
- April 11 – Day of Pink (acceptance of diversity)
- April 15 Cherrywood Family Skate at the Gale Center
- April 19 Grades 1 and 2 visit the Niagara Safety Village
- April 24 Primary Literacy Night
- April 25 Litterless Lunch Day
- April 25-27 Scholastic Book Fair
- April 29 DSBN Road Race